I was on my way home early evening yesterday after a pleasant day out visiting friends when I spotted this pronouncement:
Considering the slapdash way the post was put together I think it has turned out pretty well. And the Ugly Creatures and A House between them have raised another interesting question - does art remain endless when the artist has exited? Answers on a postcard please.
"Agnes Dreams Of Being An Artist" - The Good Ones
"Artist" - Ruth Lyon
"Exit For The Artist Exists" - The Ugly Creatures
"Endless Art" - A House
"Art On 45 (12" Version)" - The Royal Family And The Poor
"Pablo Picasso" is of course a Jonathan Richman song but I couldn't find a decent live clip of him doing it on YouTube so the Dame is doing double duty. Him and the next two blokes are OK but I have saved the best until last.

No 10cc?
ReplyDeleteEvidently not
DeleteArt is whatever the artist or the viewer says is art. I guess. I'm not sure it has to set a bird inside one free. Some art is ugly, grotesque and challenging- maybe that sets some people's birds free though. I agree that art definitely goes on beyond the artist and therefore is indeed endless.
ReplyDeleteWhatever happened to Bryan & Michael?
ReplyDeleteAs for art, I'm personally quite fond of the work of George Ginnis. He cleverly represents the dichotomy between man and beast (but not bird).
Thanks for reminding me about Ginnis. I believe it was you and Mr WIAA who first introduced me to his work in Newcastle. I'm still not sure whether I enjoy his art but it is certainly thought-provoking.
DeleteAs for B&M, Brian (real name Kevin) died in 2023 but Michael is still with us. As well as their own hit they were the songwriting geniuses behind these timeless gems:
https://youtu.be/6ZVGyxFfyZA?si=e5IU5cwGWSdn0NVc
https://youtu.be/4YLTkA6QYtE?si=jQlTa1Y6yYOuJPUg
Fun fact: Brian/ Kevin's brother used to be in the Dooleys
Argh... Mr WIAA is sitting beside me and I clicked on those links - he wasn't happy!
DeleteThe Dooleys - they were trying hard to be the British ABBA weren't they but like the Brotherhood of Man before them, they just didn't cut it.
I entirely share your and Mr WIAA's views on those links and the Dooleys but must defend the original version of Brotherhood of Man with Tony Burrows and Sue & Sunny (before they changed the line-up and tried to become ABBA fronted by Tony Orlando). 'United We Stand' is a fine song.
DeleteWhen I have the time I will try to put together a post on Sue & Sunny. The list of records they sang backing vocals on is quite extraordinary.
I know all about the original line-up as I've written about Tony Burrows and I know about Sue and Sunny (all session musicians). As for Tony Orlando - I think he fronted Dawn, as the males in the later BofM were Martin Lee and Lee Sheridan. Apologies if there was another in-between.
DeleteWhat I meant was that Brotherhood of Man V2 were like a mix of Tony Orlando and ABBA - 'Save Your Kisses For Me' is a similar style to 'Tie A Yellow Ribbon', 'Angelo' etc clearly trying to be ABBA.
DeleteSorry - you were being too clever for me.
DeleteDefinitely art, I would say, and I like the idea of an inner bird being released. I think mine still spends too long lingering around the bars of the cage and needs to fly a bit further afield. It certainly wants to! I was just going to say the same as Alyson about George Ginnis's work too...
ReplyDeleteIf you have an inner bird that would explain all the chirruping in your ears.
Delete