There was a time when my first port of call every Bandcamp Friday was the Sahel Sounds page where I would take advantage of their generous offers on their back catalogue. But not anymore.
That is not because I have gone off them, its just that I now own their whole catalogue. So for the last couple of Bandcamp Fridays - and probably the next few - I have started my trawl by visiting the equally generous folks at Nyege Nyege Tapes.
Of my latest batch of acquisitions I am particularly taken by "Molende", the 2023 album by Kinshasa born and now Kampala based Titi Bakorta. According to the label's blurb:
"Bakorta offers his own unique take on Congolese pop and folk sounds, weaving traditional elements through a psychedelic lattice of guitar loops, mangled voices and eccentric beatbox rhythms on his debut full-length". I'll let you judge that for yourselves.
"Grand Kasai" - Titi Bakorta
"Motema" - Titi Bakorta
If you have nearly 23 minutes to spare you might enjoy this video of Titi jamming with one Ale Hop on a barge in Utrecht. If you are in a hurry we also have a three minute option from Junior Walker (no relation) & The All Stars. Now if you have 26 minutes to spare...

No comments:
Post a Comment