Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 June 2015

Wendell Holmes R.I.P.

I have been a bit preoccupied with what passes for real life this week, which is why it is only now that I am getting round to paying tribute to Wendell Holmes of the Holmes Brothers, who died last Friday.

With his brother Sherman and the also dear departed Popsy Dixon, Wendell was one-third of the greatest bar band I have ever had the pleasure to see. It is not my intention to damn them with faint praise - if you wanted a band guaranteed to get a groove going in a small venue, they were the people to call. I am not sure they ever quite captured their full magic on record, but they gave it a bloody good go. RIP Mr Holmes.

"You Can't Hold On To Love That's Gone" - The Holmes Brothers

"I Found A Winner" - The Holmes Brothers

"Love Train" - The Holmes Brothers

1 comment:

  1. "Fervent, inspired and joyful blues, R&B, soul, roadhouse rock and gospel…beautiful harmonies, true magic."– NPR

    "The band expertly blends Saturday night’s roadhouse rock and blues with the gospel passion of Sunday morning’s church service."

    "We used to say we’d rock ‘em on Saturday and save ‘em on Sunday" - Wendell Holmes.

    A very fine live band.

    ReplyDelete