Search This Blog

Thursday 23 March 2017

Chilala Land

I spent 48 hours in Lusaka last week. Needless to say, I didn't get to see very much of the place, but the locals were lovely - including this fellow I met during a brief visit to a game reserve near the airport - and hopefully there will be chance to go back to Zambia again and have a proper look around.


I didn't have the chance to go searching for sounds in central Lusaka, but I did pop into the small music shop in the arcade across the road from where I was staying. They didn't have a great selection - mostly gospel and Western pop - but I managed to find a couple of CDs that looked worth a try.

The first was "Mukachita Shani", the 2012 album by Brian Chilala. I don't know much about Brian but, if the website musicinafrica.net is to be believed, he is a former protege of Zamrock pioneer Paul Ngozi, who has featured here before. Not that Paul's influence is particularly obvious on this album.

"Kuli Zii" - Brian Chilala

"Ulupwa" - Brian Chilala


3 comments:

  1. "They didn't have a great selection - mostly gospel.." sounds fine to me Ernie "...and western pop" you could just have skipped that section, of course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, George. If I'm down that way again I'll pick up some Zambian gospel for you. And I did skip the other section.

      Delete
  2. .That first track is splendid, by the way, splendid.

    ReplyDelete