Search This Blog

Sunday 29 November 2020

Dave Prowse RIP

A brief tribute to Dave Prowse, who died yesterday. While his most acclaimed role was as the original Darth Vader, for many of us of a certain generation he will always be the Green Cross Code Man. 

I met him once in that capacity. Back in the mid-1980s I was a security guard at an exhibition hall in London and Mr Prowse was booked to make a personal appearance as the Green Cross Code Man. He parked his van on a blind corner and I was dispatched to ask him to move it. 

In those days I was a young smartarse and made some remark about how he of all people ought to know it wasn't safe to park there. This rightly earned me a stern dressing down, during which he confirmed that I was indeed a young smartarse. Looking back, I got off more lightly than most people who cheek Darth Vader.

RIP Mr Prowse. I hope your crossing was a smooth one.

"Stop Look And Listen" - The Chiffons

"Crossing Over The Road" - Tom Robinson Band

"When I Cross Over" - Tift Merritt

3 comments:

  1. YOu missed a glorious chance to post the majestic Don't Let Me Cross Over, by Carl Butler and Pearl. Shame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you still have your uniform?
    Asking for a friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wary of asking why your friend wants to know, but I don't. I don't even have the epaulette.

      Delete