Search This Blog

Friday 2 February 2024

Have F.U.N. With F.F.N.

I was in Athens earlier this week. For obvious reasons I can't comment on the intense internet speculation (from Rol) that I was there for the purposes of international espionage, but I can share the view from the rooftop bar where I met my nemesis honey trap local contact.

Suffice to say that whatever I was doing it did not prevent me getting to my favourite record shop in the city. I acquired a small pile of goodies, including one I think might appeal to George if he ever tires of bands with the same name and instead decides to take an interest in bands with no name. Or 'Formatia Fara Nume' as they would put it in Romania.

The goodie in question was "Zece Pași", the 1975 debut album by top Romanian rockers F.F.N. (as they were known for short), reissued in 2013 with some bonus tracks by Italian label Eastern Time. I was  tempted to buy it even before I read the blurb on the back cover which referred to their "excellent guitar/flute interplay". After that it was inevitable.

We'll kick things off with the A-side of their debut single from 1974 and follow it up with one of the many flute infested tunes on what is, all in all, a pretty decent album.

"Chemare" - F.F.N.

"Speranţa" - F.F.N.

Here is a 1973 clip of the lads (plus two women in jumpers who don't appear to do anything). There are tantalising glimpses of a flute early on but it does not get played until right near the end. 

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic clapping from the two jumper wearing ladies
    I never got as far as the flute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that Ernie has maligned those two women, they seem to clapping in time to the music, not standing around doing nothing (they did, though, take a well-earned rest during the mouthie interlude)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My theory was that they were Securitate informers there to report if the band said or did anything of which Ceaușescu would not approve. But I may hay been overdoing the international espionage.

      Delete
  3. I have a similar view from my classroom window this morning, so I'm not jealous at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chemara is very, indeed proudly, flute infested. It's a splendid song. (ELO could have improved their output with some flautistry)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Speranta I could hear some ELO influences, and some very pleasing fluting. Three very enjoyable tunes today from what is now my favourite Romanian band

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only think (due to the fact that there were absolutely no redeeming qualties in that clip of Vantul) that the Athens police/security services/underworld have some Kompramat on you and that you were blackmailed to post that video at the peril of your nearest and dearest. It's OK though, it happens to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete