Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 April 2024

Ernie's African Odyssey Pt 32 - Mali

Welcome to Mali. For those of you who tune in for the music this will be one of the highlights of the series. But those of you who tune in for the spellbinding accompanying narrative are in for a disappointment. There isn't any.

There are two reasons. The first is that I just don't have the time at the moment, for reasons I will explain on Friday. The second is that trying to curate a six song 'set' that does justice to the fantastic variety of Malian music - from the griots with their koras in the South to the Tuareg guitar bands in the North - is probably beyond me anyway.

It is not just the quality but the quantity as well. I have totted up that I have music by more than 70 Malian acts in my collection, more than any African countries apart from Nigeria and South Africa. They include real giants like Salif Keita - who featured here a few weeks ago - Tinariwen and Ali Farka Toure alongside many who may be less familiar to you.

Rather than the usual format I have cut the commentary and doubled the number of tracks from six to 12. Where the artists have records on Bandcamp I have added a link on their name so you can explore them further if you wish. I have avoided the superstars although you may still recognise at least some of the artists. 

It is a woefully inadequate introduction to the rich and diverse Malian music scene but hopefully it gives you a glimpse into what is big in the bars of Bamako and top of the pops in Timbuktu. Rest assured, the old Mandatory African Reggae is present and correct. But it may not be the one that you think it is. 

"Anha Achal Wad Namda" - Tamikrest

"Black & White" - Moussa Doumbia

"Anlouka" - Adja Soumano

"Aïcha Talamomt" - Imarhan Timbuktu

"Middo Wara" - Hama Sankare

"Sinzin" - Nahawa Doumbia

"Alghalem" - Terakaft

"Dounia Tabolo" - Boubacar Traoré

"Djanfa" - Kandia Kouyaté

"Les Enfants" - Leila Gobi

"Rastaman" - Djadjé Cissé

"Circulation De Bamako" - Askia Modibo

5 comments:

  1. Sir you continue to do the Lord's work here on earth. Outstanding choices, as always. Chapeau!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to add a proper commnen of my own but it would seem even more trite than usual compared to the first one.

      Delete
  2. I missed the spellbinding narrative, but was rather impressed by Songhoy Blues, despite the video making me feel rather queasy.

    ReplyDelete