Search This Blog

Friday, 24 July 2026

Record Sleeves

There is a new museum in town. To be more specific, in Camden Town, tucked away in a quiet street about ten minutes walk from the tube station.

The Museum of Youth Culture opened in May and it describes itself as "the world's first museum dedicated to the lives of teenagers and young people", not that there were many of the latter visible when I visited. It was mostly old farts like me getting nostalgic. But it is a fun place and worth a visit if the are in the area.

The specific reason I was there was for an exhibition of the covers of the first 100 albums issued by Greensleeves Records, starting in 1978 with what was a student staple in my day, "Best Dressed Chicken In Town" by Dr. Alimantado, and running through to 1986. The exhibition closes tomorrow (25 July) so you had better pull your finger out if you want to get there.

Seeing the display brought back memories of time spent in Daddy Kool record store in Soho after I first moved to London in 1984, and was a reminder of the consistently high standard of the records Greensleeves put out in its early years. I did a quick tot up and reckon I have at least a third of the albums on show, including these six (in descending order of righteousness):

"Jah Will Provide" - Hugh Mundell

"Got To Praise Jah Jah" - Triston Palma

"Felt We Felt The Strain" - Keith Hudson

"Don't Fuss Nor Fight" - Barrington Levy

"How You Keep A Dance" - Yellowman

"Skidip" - Eek-A-Mouse

Speaking of Dr. Alimantado and Daddy Kool as we were:

No comments:

Post a Comment