Search This Blog

Monday, 24 August 2026

Park Life

I am lucky enough to live a short walking distance from Victoria Park (Vicky to her friends) in London's historic and fashionable East End. Its been a blessing having it on the doorstep, especially during Covid but in normal times too.

Vicky Park is a bit busy at the moment because we are slap bang in the middle of the annual All Points East festival - six days of music spread across two weekends attracting crowds of 40 - 50,000 each day. 

All Points East has been running since 2018 and I went to some of the earlier ones when they had something for everyone on the bill, but in recent years the organisers have targeted a younger audience. I have not heard of most of the acts, even some of the headliners, and I would be surprised if any of the many festival goers I have seen over the last few days were over 30. That's not a complaint - its good to see the kids of today enjoying live music - its just not for me.

No doubt they will be talking about the time Jorja Smith and Twenty One Pilots played Vicky Park for years to come, but personally I think the most significant festival ever held there remains the one in April 1978 when Rock Against Racism and the Anti-Nazi League organised a march from Trafalgar Square to the park for a 'Carnival Against The Nazis'.

I wasn't there - my excuse is I was living in South Africa at the time and the 277 doesn't run that far - but by all accounts it was an amazing day. In the current climate we could do with a repeat, but reading the bio of the man behind AEG Presents, the organisers of All Points East, my guess is it probably isn't on their to do list.

The official line-up at the 'Carnival Against The Nazis' was The Clash (with a guest appearance by Jimmy Pursey), Tom Robinson Band, Steel Pulse, X-Ray Spex and my close personal friend Patrik Fitzgerald. We've featured X-Ray Spex a couple of times recently - here and here - and if you are patient you will see the Clash and Jimmy in the video. But first here are the other three acts with some of their hits from 1978.

"Better Decide Which Side You're On" - Tom Robinson Band

"Klu Klux Klan" - Steel Pulse

"Irrelevant Battles" - Patrik Fitzgerald

1 comment: