Search This Blog

Friday, 25 September 2026

The Youth Of Liverpool

Last week I was visiting two of my oldest and dearest friends up in Southport. We had a day out in Liverpool and treated ourselves to a stroll through the old docks, taking in such sights as the Stanley Dock Bascule Bridge and the ventilation shaft for the Kingsway Tunnel.

I originally planned to mark the occasion with a Liverpool themed post but try as I might I couldn't think of any suitable songs or bands. I asked my friend the same question as we walked past the Gerry Marsden Ferry Terminal but he was stumped as well. And Frankie Vaughan can't carry a post on his own even though he, like the ventilation shaft, is a tower of strength.

Then I thought about a Single Song Sunday featuring "Dock Of The Bay" but abandoned that idea when I found that I only had four versions plus a song of the same name by Big Youth which is him rabbiting away over a sample of  "Silhouettes".

So in the end I settled for Big Youth, which is never a bad place to end up in my view.

"Dock Of The Bay" - Big Youth

"Knotty No Jester" - Big Youth


4 comments:

  1. It's hard to think of any famous acts from Liverpool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the bass player from Wings has a Liverpool connection.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're quite right about Big Youth.
    Liverpool has some incredible architecture, love it. The ventilation shafts are fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you were on quite the Magical Mystery Tour! Shame about the lack of bands though, come on Liverpool please do better

    ReplyDelete