Search This Blog

Sunday 31 August 2014

Single Song Sunday

I had better start with an apology. I always knew that putting together different versions of the same song was not a remotely original idea. But I did not know that unconsciously I had borrowed the title of this series from Mr. BoyHowdy at "Cover Lay Down". If he gets to learn of this, I hope he will consider it a homage not a rip-off.

Anyway, back to the business of the day. You will all be familiar with "Try A Little Tenderness", but - like me - you may not have been aware that it was written way back when by three English songwriters, Harry Woods, Jimmy Campbell and Reg Connelly. It was first recorded by Ray Noble and His Orchestra in 1932, since when it has been covered by pretty much every crooner that ever crooned a tune.

I have tried to avoid the obvious versons that you will have, like those by Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin, but there are still plenty of good ones to choose from. We will start with what I think is the earliest version in my collection, by the delightfully named Little Miss Cornshucks, and finish off with a surprisingly sprightly rendition by a Welsh youth choir. In between we have the obligatory reggae version , the less obligatory calypso and disco versions, and some sublime moments from the likes of Charlie Rich and Etta James.

 "Try A Little Tenderness" - Little Miss Cornshucks

"
Try A Little Tenderness" - Solomon Burke

"
Try A Little Tenderness" - Etta James

"
Try A Little Tenderness" - Charlie Rich

"
Try A Little Tenderness" - Ohio Players

"
Try A Little Tenderness" - Bitty McLean

"
Try A Little Tenderness" - Mighty Sparrow with Byron Lee

"
Try A Little Tenderness" - Cor Ysgol Glanaethwy

No comments:

Post a Comment