Search This Blog

Thursday 27 July 2017

Cavorting in Cameroon

Well, I'm back from my trip to Jakarta and assorted parts of Malaysia, and a great time was had by all. My visit to the Rainforest World Music Festival in Sarawak was curtailed by the arrival of torrential rain - I suppose the name of the festival should have been a clue - but I was taught how to use a blowpipe while there. I am sure that is a skill that will come in handy in the future.

Apart from the festival, the musical pickings were pretty slim. While admittedly I didn't scour every inch of Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur or George Town, I failed to find a single CD emporium in any of them. I had better luck in Kuching, where I managed to acquire a compilation of 1970s Malaysian pop plus what judging by the cover may be a concept album involving aliens. Let's hope so.

More of those anon. For now, let's get back in the saddle with some fun and frivolity from Cameroon. Both tracks come from a groovy compilation with the self-explanatory title of "Pop Makossa".

"Mussoliki" - Bernard Ntome

"Nen Lambo" - Bill Loko

As far as I know, "Mussoliki" is not a misspelt tribute to the former Italian dictator. We don't need that kind of thang.

No comments:

Post a Comment