Search This Blog

Friday 3 November 2017

The Taxman Cometh

A couple of selections tonight from "Confessions of an I.R.S. Groupie", a 1988 compilation from - obviously - I.R.S. Records. Judging by this album, the former home of REM and The Go-Go's had started to go off the boil quite badly by 1988. There is an awful lot of dodgy heavy metal, dull jazz-rock instrumentals and an attempt at blue-eyed soul that might have been OK had it not been for the dreadful production values that blighted nearly all soul music in the 1980s.

But it is not all bad. Here are couple of tracks from two bands I had never previously heard of. Reckless Sleepers is clearly "inspired by" Tom Petty, but is none the worse for that; and I do like The Balancing Act (although I could have done without the guitar solo).

"If We Never Meet Again" - Reckless Sleepers

"Can You Get To That?" - The Balancing Act

The only actual hit on the album is this one, which I've always had a bit of a soft spot for, although for the life of me I couldn't tell you why.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the song but there's something really creepy about that video....

    ReplyDelete