Search This Blog

Sunday 19 August 2018

An Outbreak Of Newness

Regular readers will know that I am dreadful old fart who shies away from modern music on the grounds that - as Granny Goggins wisely put it many years ago - you can't make out the words and its all just "bang, bang, bang".

Every now and then, though, something new comes along that doesn't fit that description and I find myself liking it despite my best efforts not to. We have two such examples today.

First up is Erin Rae, whose debut album "Putting On Airs" came out in June. Some of you may have heard "Love Like Before" already as it featured on an Uncut freebie earlier in the year. I can confirm that the rest of the album is just as good, and if you haven't already bought it you should put that right a.s.a.p. As if an album wasn't enough, Erin starts a tour of the UK next weekend. Details are on her website. I'm going to do my best to get along to one of the London shows.

Second, and last, up is Ric Robertson. His debut album also came out in June, and it is also splendid. It is called "The Fool, The Friend". There are hints of Ron Sexsmith about some of the tunes and Thad Cockrell in his voice, both of which are definitely good things. No word of any gigs, but it seems he is a pal of Dori Freeman and a member of Rhiannon Giddens' tour band, so I wouldn't rule it out.

"Love Like Before" - Erin Rae

"The Fool" - Ric Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment