Search This Blog

Friday 28 April 2023

Friday Is Thai Day

You can blame that Khayem from Dubhed for this. Earlier this week he did a post that featured not one but two versions of "Rasputin". That prompted me to dig out my own favourite cover version.

It comes from one my favourite albums. "Zud Rang Maa" is a compilation of Thai pop, funk and disco from the long 1970s released by a Thai label of the same name in 2008. 

The album was subsequently reissued by Light In The Attic under the name "Thai Funk Volume 1", but I have the original which I picked up shortly after it came out. It comes in a colourful cloth bag with all sorts of bits and bobs shoved inside. Very stylish but difficult to fit in the CD racks. 

Anyway, here's "Rasputin" and two other cover versions you'll recognise instantly. Behave yourselves and you may get another choice selection from this fantastic compilation next week.

"Rus Pu Tin" - Panadda Chayapark

"Chown Tur Ten Rum" - Pranee Thanasri

"Kod Hang Kam" - Kana TNT

Today's video features the song that was the highlight of the Boney M set that a local lady and I performed while standing on a table in a karaoke bar in Moldova several years ago. During our performance I pointed to a chubby besuited gent and announced that he was the real Daddy Cool. He was thrilled and insisted on buying me drinks afterwards.

4 comments:

  1. Is your version of Daddy Cool available on video?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm struggling to work out just why I really like the first cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone in wondering why - I liked it too and downloaded it. Love that iTunes classified the Genre as "Unclassifiable". Anyway, some worthy cause will benefit.

      Delete