Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 April 2023

The Bits Lambchop Chopped

I recently picked up a job lot of CDs for 20p a piece - a nearby record shop was virtually giving them away because they had lost the covers. Among them was "I Hope You're Sitting Down", the 1994 debut album by Lambchop.

I had never heard the album previously - like many people I only really became aware of the band when "Nixon" came out in 2000 - so it was interesting to compare it with what I knew of their later stuff. 

There was a lot that sounded familiar, but also some hunts of choices not taken and paths not travelled. Like these two tracks, on which they sound like a slightly weedy garage band using parping horns as a rhythm section. I like them. See what you think.

"Hellmouth" - Lambchop

"So, I Hear You're Moving" - Lambchop

I'll leave you with some more from 94. I'm heading off to listen to my CD collection of Bob Marley.

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing more from this bargain haul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Highlights of those I have listened to so far as 'Write About Love' by Belle & Sebastian - for which I would happily have paid 10 x 20p or even more - and 'All The Road Running' by Emmylou and Mark Knopfler. A polymath like you may already be familiar with both.

      Delete
    2. I am indeed.The second one is a huge favourite of Mrs CC

      Delete
    3. Mrs CC is a woman of taste and distinction, as evidenced by her choice of husband.

      Delete
  2. I knew I had 2 of their albums, I've just discovered that this is one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20p? I'd have been torn though, since I hate to buy CDs without sleeves. Lambchop are great. Especially with mint sauce. (Just thought I'd throw that in before anyone else does.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could've sworn that I knew (and indeed once owned) "I Hope You're Sitting Down", but neither of these tracks are ringing any bells at all. I enjoyed them both though.

    ReplyDelete