Search This Blog

Monday 9 October 2023

The Zagreb Zeitgeist

We have the first fruits of my recent trawl round the record shops of Zagreb for you today, and we start with something of a landmark album. 

"Naši Dani" was the 1968 debut album by Zagreb band Grupa 220 and is generally considered to be the first Yugoslav rock album consisting of entirely original material rather than endless covers of Western hits. It is pretty decent with some nice psychedelic touches. 

There is even one six minute long number with an extended jazz-prog flute section. I can only think of one person who might enjoy that. Let me know, George, and I'll send it over.  

Drago Mlinarec was the main songwriter and lead vocalist for Grupa 220, and the guitarist Vojko Sabolović pitched in with a few songs of his own. Both went on to have solo careers in the 1970s (and beyond in Drago's case). 

I found a compilation of Vojko's solo material while I was browsing and snapped it up in the hope of more of the same. Unfortunately that was not what I got. Most of it was sub-standard schlager, but there were a few half decent tracks of which today's selection is the pick.

"Nešto Malih Stvari" - Grupa 220

"Besciljni Dani" - Grupa 220

"Suton" - Vojko Sabolović

Somewhat to my surprise I managed to find a promo clip of the Grupa Gang's first hit single from back in 1967, before they had recruited Branimir 'Mr Fingers' Zivkovic whose keyboards and flute would add so much to "Naši Dani". The second video features one of Vojko's songs from "Naši Dani".

3 comments:

  1. How can there be sub-standard schlager?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can Mister F write up Schlager Sunday post for these pages?
    And any prog-flute music would be very welcomed. By me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prog-flute music has been dispatched.

      I will pass on your request to Mr F. I am happy to host such a post if he is happy to write it. But bear in mind that this is a man who believes that no schlager can be considered sub-standard, which suggests there is at least a chance that we might presented with is a big steaming pile of sh... lager

      Delete