Search This Blog

Thursday 14 December 2023

Back To The Bus Stop

Last week's post about the humble omnibus attracted a fair amount of interest, so here is another one. I have just about enough material left to squeeze out a third post, which would be appropriate as the common wisdom has it that you don't get any posts about buses for ages and then three come along at once. So watch this space.

Last time out I was critical of those who look down on buses as a means of transport (I am legally required to state at this juncture that Charity Chic is not one of  them). But it is also possible to be too enthusiastic about buses.

Way back in the early 1990s I worked with a bus spotter. He had never mentioned his secret shame at work, but one Saturday morning I was on my normal bus route and he boarded along with a group of his fellow bus fanciers. Apparently this was the first day on which this particular route was using buses made by the Alexander Works of Falkirk and they had come over to join the party. 

Having been outed like that it was as if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders and he never stopped banging on about buses after that.  He even persuaded me to take some photos of local buses for him when I went on holiday to Norway a few months later. 

This was before we had phones with cameras in so there was no way to disguise what you were doing. The knowledge that everyone else in the Trondheim bus station was staring at me thinking "Hvorfor fotograferer den idioten busser?" induced an embarrassment I will never forget.

After that rambling introduction, here are today's selection of tunes praising not just buses of different types but depots and drivers as well. 

"Americana Royal Bus Tribute Pt 1" - Royal Boys of Rumuodomaya

"Star Spangled Bus" - Hamilton Camp

"Bus Station" - Tom Russell & Nanci Griffith

"Horace The Swinging School Bus Driver" - Jan & Dean

"Natty Dread Travel On Mini Bus" - Jah Youth

The song in the video was mentioned by Charity Chic in the comments on the previous post. Once again I am legally obliged to point out that no inference should be made that the title of the song reflects his own views. 

6 comments:

  1. I think today's authorities might take a dim view of a swinger driving the school bus.
    I've never seen that stripped back video version before.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure Jan & Dean meant 'swinging' in the more innocent sense of 'fun and stylish', as was widely used in the 1960s. Just like our own Swinging Blue Jeans, for example.

      Delete
  2. I was going to try and find a clip of my favourite bus scene in film. But I changed my mind. (and please do not infer that I am sparing you a scene from that film with The Shadows and their friends)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of the 'On The Buses' films?

      Delete
    2. Or that chap with a knife on the yellow school bus in one of the Dirty Harry films?

      Delete