I mentioned in a post last week that I was excited to have picked up a copy of Bim Sherman's "Miracle" album (1996) for just 50 cents while in Greece recently. I have now had the opportunity to listen to it a couple of times.
As Swiss Adam has noted, any Bim Sherman album has to be a bargain at that price. He is right, but this one is not what I was expecting from the credits - Adrian Sherwood at the controls with contributions from Talvin Singh and the On-U regulars Skip McDonald, Doug Wimbush and Bubblers Ogilvie.
The only clue in the credits that this may not be the typical sound you might expect from that lot is that Skip McDonald is credited on acoustic guitar only. He plays it very tastefully, and rather too tastefully for my tastes at times (too many tastes - sorry). The whole album is very, very mellow.
Overall it is a decent listen but that is almost entirely down to Bim's vocals and Talvin on the tablas. And while it is definitely still a bargain at 50 cents I am not sure I will be digging it out as regularly as much of his other stuff. This is for certain moods only.
"Can I Be Free From Crying" - Bim Sherman
"Bewildered" - Bim Sherman

No comments:
Post a Comment