Search This Blog

Sunday 1 June 2014

Single Song Sunday

Our occasional series returns with a soul standard - "That's How Strong My Love Is". The best known version is Otis Redding's hit from 1965, but the original recording was made the year before by the mighty O.V. Wright. Since then just about every soul singer worth their salt has had a go, as have a fair few other folks as well. Of course, we have tracked down the obligatory reggae version.

The song was writen by Roosevelt Jamison, who sounds an interesting character. As well as being a songwriter, producer and manager to the likes of O.V. and James Carr, he was a hematologist who ran a blood bank in Beale Street in Memphis. Apparently he first got involved in the music business when he let bands rehearse at the back of the blood bank.

"That's How Strong My Love Is" - O.V. Wright

"That's How Strong My Love Is" - Otis Redding

"That's How Strong My Love Is" - Candi Staton

"That's How Strong My Love Is" - Buddy Miller

"That's How Strong My Love Is" - The Youngbloods

"That's How Strong My Love Is" - The Incredible Casuals

"That's How Strong My Love Is" - Bryan Ferry

"That's How Strong My Love Is" - The Gaylettes

3 comments:

  1. Ernie,
    I'm a huge fan of your Single Song Sundays and hope it's a never-ending series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you. Folks, if you want to see a proper blog with some great vintage soul, blues and gospel music you should visit Marie's place: http://toodarnsoulful.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ernie, thanks for that awfully nice mention! You run a very fine site here yourself, I must say.

    ReplyDelete