Search This Blog

Thursday 13 July 2023

Lanegan, Then Gone Again

This will be the last post here for ten days or so as I'm heading off for a week's break tomorrow. If you study the videos very closely there are some subtle clues as to where I'll be spending the first part of the week.

I wanted to leave you with something light and fluffy and what could be lighter and fluffier than Mark Lanegan? "Here Comes That Weird Chill" was a nine-track EP released in 2003 that served as a sort of preview for "Bubblegum", the 'proper' album that came out the year after, the songs having been recorded in the same sessions.

While "Weird Chill" might have been intended as a warm-up it is pretty good in its own right. Highlights include these two tracks, the first of which was the only one on "Weird Chill" that subsequently made it onto "Bubblegum".

"Methamphetamine Blues" - Mark Lanegan Band

"Lexington Slow Down" - Mark Lanegan Band

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No, none of them are from either Virginia or West London

      Delete
  2. I think you're starting off in Russia (If I Were A Richman is from Fiddler, set in Russia), then heading to Cale-fornia, finishing off with an overnight stay at the Sist-ine Chapel.

    Am I right?

    Enjoy it, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank goodness someone has worked out the right country at least, I was beginning to wonder that the clues were even more cryptic than some of Rol's are.

      It's a short John Cale album title themed break, starting in Paris - I'm hoping my train will be 29 minutes late so that I arrive at 19:19 exactly - then going on to visit Helen of Troyes. If there is a Church of Anthrax there I will pop in.

      Delete
  4. Nice video selection there. Jonathan is under appreciated and 1919 is a gem of an album. As for ML, I'd kind of (deliberately) overlooked him but will look out for that Bubblegum alb.

    ReplyDelete