Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 July 2023

Mister Tom

Another week, another gig. Last Thursday my old pal Mr F and I went to see Tom Russell play the famour 100 Club in London's Oxford Street. The capacity is now much smaller than when an estimated 100,000 people all definitely saw the Sex Pistols there back in 1976.

I have lost count of the number of times I've seen Tom perform, but it must be close to double figures by now. We nearly didn't add to the tally as the Great Man had cancelled a couple of gigs earlier in the week due to ill health, but fortunately for us he was feeling sufficiently recovered by Thursday to go ahead. 

Tom was looking a little gaunt but that may just be down to his recent illness. His voice is still holding up well for a man of 76. And the songs, of course, were magnificent. We were treated to a mix of tracks from his most recent album, "October In The Railroad Earth" (2019), and some (very) old favourites. Here is one of each.

"Highway 46" - Tom Russell

"Veterans Day" - Tom Russell
  

3 comments:

  1. I bet that was a good night. From what I've heard of Tom Russell previously, he would be well worth seeking out if he ever came to my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why should try to set up a gig at Huddersfield Town Hall backed by a massed children's choir and kazoo orchestra next time he's over.

      Delete
  2. I've seen him once.A bit of catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete