Search This Blog

Monday 6 May 2024

A Case Of Case

Last Wednesday Mr F and I tootled over to not very leafy Leytonstone for an evening with Peter Case, who was ably supported by Sid Griffin (that's him standing on a chair in a rock 'n roll manner).

I have seen Mr Sid before but this was my first time with Mr Case. If you haven't seen him I would recommend checking him out. He puts on a great show, and is quite the raconteur. The stories were almost as good as the songs, with one involving Jerry Lee Lewis, Sheena Easton and the drummer from The Blasters backstage at the Grammys being particularly entertaining.

Mr Case's current tour of UK and Europe is notionally to promote his most recent album "Doctor Moan" although I think he only did a couple of tracks from it ("The Girl In Love With A Shadow" stood out for me). 

The rest of the set was a mixture of originals from across his career and old blues covers of the likes of Memphis Minnie and Sleepy John Estes. Today's selections were two of the highlights. The first has long been a big favourite of mine, the second hasn't but will be now.

"Entella Hotel" - Peter Case

"Ain't Gonna Worry No More" - Peter Case

Before he started his solo career in the mid 1980s Mr Case was the main man in The Plimsouls, and before that he was in a short-lived power pop band called The Nerves. They released one EP in 1976 then split. There the story might have ended if Jeffrey Lee Pierce (who starred in another of Mr Case's tall tales) had not included one of the tracks on a mixtape he made for Blondie. The rest is history.

4 comments:

  1. I was lured in by the promise of the title. But it was not what I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neko Case. But I liked the two tracks you posted

      Delete
    2. A case of mistaken identity.
      I'll get my coat!

      Delete