Search This Blog

Friday 7 June 2024

Fly Guy

The great Richard Thompson released his first new album in six years last week. Called "Ship To Shore", it is very good by all accounts. I've not had the chance to listen to it yet but no doubt I will soon.

We're going to mark the occasion with a couple of tracks from his debut solo album "Henry The Human Fly" which came out a mere 52 years ago. It seems like only yesterday. Largely ignored at the time and slightly disparaged by Mr Thompson himself (who apparently felt that his singing didn't do the songs justice), it has always been a favourite of mine.

"The Angels Took My Racehorse Away" - Richard Thompson

"The Old Changing Way" - Richard Thompson

I've been told that "Ship To Shore" was originally going to be Richard's Chris de Burgh covers album but that he abandoned the idea having concluded that he could not improve on the originals, keeping only the title. But I don't know whether that's true.

6 comments:

  1. It has been said that Chris de Burgh pays more than a passing resemblance to a certain Glaswegian blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not in a position to comment but I suspect that may be libellous.

      Delete
    2. His silence is deafening!

      Delete
    3. Pistols at dawn, a comment like that.

      When you do get around to listening to the new RT album, Ernie, do let me know whether I ought to be doing the same.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard RT's debut and any reference in song to horse racing (there aren't many) is going to get my attention. Really like that first track.

    ReplyDelete