Search This Blog

Friday 4 October 2024

Just A Bit Of The Blues

You can imagine how pleased I was to pick up something billed as "four Jimmy Reed albums on two CDs" as part of one of the regular '3 for £1' offers in our local Buddhist bookshop. But...

[Note to readers: please insert "da da da dum" or other blues riff as appropriate when reading the next bit, and make sure you have your harmonica ready so you can do a solo at the end].

When I woke up this morning/ and I opened up the case/ one CD was missing/ I had tears all down my face. 

Now I only had two albums/ When I was expecting four/ Well I'm happy with what I got/ but I'm still left wanting more.

[Harmonica solo]

Well I took myself down to the river, as you do in these circumstances, and after staring into its murky depths for a while a dawning realisation crept over me that two Jimmy Reed albums for 33p is still a pretty good deal, especially when they contain such much-covered classics as "Big Boss Man" and "Baby What You Want Me To Do".

The albums in question are "Rockin' With Reed" (1959) and "Found Love" (1960), and here is a big boffo tune from both of them.

"Going By The River (Part 1)" - Jimmy Reed

"Wanna Be Loved" - Jimmy Reed

And now, two big boss men.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the great philosopher nearly sang Two out of Four ain't Bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you claiming Meatloaf is a great philosopher?

      Delete
  3. On the basis of that I would happily pay at least 33p for an 'Ernie Sings The Blues' album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea. Would you be available to provide blues concertina?

      Delete