Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 January 2023

Wilma Lee, Stoney And God

For the second Wednesday in a row we have some gospel for you - for me that counts as a series. Today's selections are very different in style to last week's funky outpourings though.

Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper hailed from West Virginia and were big names on the bluegrass and traditional country music scene from their marriage in 1941 to Stoney's death in 1977. After that, Wilma carried on as a member of the Grand Ol' Opry until retiring 2001 at the age of 80. 

Here's a couple of tunes of theirs from the early 1950s.

"Are You Walking And A-Talking For The Lord" - Wilma Lee & Stoney Cooper

"I'm Taking My Audition (To Sing Up in the Sky)"  - Wilma Lee & Stoney Cooper 

2 comments:

  1. A superb trio of tunes there, Ernie. A couple of observations on watching the video: Wilma Lee appears to be doing much of the heavy lifting in that musical partnership. And quite a coup to get Tom Waits on banjo, I didn't realise he was that old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma was certainly the star turn but judging by the selection of their songs I have Stoney was usually a bit more involved that he is in this video. I hadn't noticed Tom, I was too distracted by the double bass player whose technique seems to involve just banging his fist against the instrument while staring into the camera.

      Delete