Search This Blog

Friday 8 March 2024

Babs 'n Bob

A change of pace for you today. We are not so much surfing the zeitgeist as rolling our trousers up and taking a tentative paddle in the shallows. Ladies and Gentlemen, Ms Barbara Dickson.

I am still scarred by the Elkie Brooks episode many years ago so I want to make it clear that this will not be a Barbara bashing exercise. 

Her version of the old standard "Answer Me" was one of the first singles I bought with my pocket money when I was 12. She has made many more fine records over the years and counts movers and shakers like Mr & Mrs CC among her many fans.

I popped into our local Buddhist charity bookshop earlier this week and checked out the small selection of CDs that are always on offer at three for £1. After finding two that looked quite promising I filled the quota with this:


Released in 1992, this is Dickson Sings Dylan with the production values you associate with that era plus a guest appearance by Gerry Rafferty on "The Times They Are A-Changin'".  

It is a bit of a mixed bag. When they play the songs straight it generally works pretty well, but there are a few 'experimental' arrangements that might have been best left on the cutting room floor. Here is an example of each.

To use the official Charity Chic Classification (CCC) system it is probably not a keeper, but I'm glad I gave it a go. 

"Ring Them Bells" - Barbara Dickson

"Maggie's Farm" - Barbara Dickson

And now... Dylan Sings Dickson! Or possibly Frankie Laine or Nat King Cole, you decide. You also get some Richard Thompson as a bonus. 

9 comments:

  1. She sang a couple of Dylan numbers when we saw her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you and Mrs CC don't already have the album in your extensive collection of Dicksonalia happy to give you this copy if you would like it.

      Delete
  2. Ouch. The Elkie Brooks Episode must have been painful. I wonder if Elkie wrote all those comments herself, or if she phoned up a couple of friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones in the comment box were quite mild compared to the ones received by email.

      Elkie is a fine singer and a top pro and I am sure she had nothing to do with it.

      Delete
  3. I am interested to discover just how many men born in the early 1960s turn out to be fans of Ms Dickson. Well, you are the third such man, after Mr CC and an schoolfriend of mine. Am I the exception to the rule?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Fan' might be pushing it - the single in 1975 and this CD for 33p earlier in the week are her only records I have ever bought. Broadly neutral I would say.

      Delete
  4. That Elkie Brooks episode certainly made for some entertaining reading... Not that I want to add any fuel to the fire but as an antidote I do like the fact that she was once so much more avant-garde:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KadFqwkzKfE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent, thanks. I am familiar with her work with Vinegar Joe but not Dada. I will need to explore further.

      Delete
  5. Just watched that Dylan clip and heard 37 different songs in there none of which were Answer Me, My Love!! As for Barbara Dickson I'm a neutral myself

    ReplyDelete