Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 March 2024

Gigs A Go Go

I have had a little run of gigs over the last couple of weeks.

While I was in Brussels the Sunday before last I took the opportunity to visit the Centre for Fine Arts (Bozar as its known to the locals) to see Cécile McLorin Salvant perform her 'jazz opera' "Ogresse".

Ms McLorin Salvant is a three times Grammy winner with a great voice which she seems to be able to switch from Sarah Vaughan to Blossom Dearie on a whim. I would struggle to describe the show itself so I will leave that to the good folks at the Jazzwise website. Overall I enjoyed it and the final section was very powerful, but I must admit my mind wandered during some of the bits between the big set pieces.

Back in London the following Wednesday I joined the boys at the always reliable Shacklewell Arms in Dalston for one of their occasional free gigs. The headliners were Erotic Secrets of Pompeii from Bristol who were promoting their new album "Mondo Maleficum".

Their style was described by Mr F "like very early Ultravox before they sacked their first guitarist because he wasn't very good". I think it was meant as a compliment but may not be taken as such by the Erotic's guitarist. They weren't really for me but they put on a good show and I did enjoy the glam stomp of their 2022 single "Nemesis Please".

The support act were much more my cup of herbal tea, so much so I had a great big grin on my face from start to finish. Luiz Bruno is a London-based Brazilian hippy who has been churning out cassettes of his own unique sounds and whose songs tackle important issues like kids vaping on the bus and the inability to locate your fridge. His latest record "Chicken Dinner" comes out in late April and is available for pre-order.

Mr Bruno is backed live by the Adult Children and between them they put on a great show with lots of hot theremin action. They had huge fun and so did we. I am definitely going to see them again as soon as I get the opportunity and I suggest you do too.

Which brings us to Monday this week when we were at the Barbican for a concert marking the 25th anniversary of Songlines magazine. Top of the bill, and the man we were all there to see, was the Golden Voice of Africa himself, the mighty Salif Keita. He has a new acoustic album coming out later this year and we were told that this set was a bit of a preview.
He was accompanied by Madou Diabaté, brother of Toumani and a fine musician in his own right. The combination of his kora and Mr Keita's guitar was quite mesmerising, and the Great Man's voice is still pegged to the gold standard at the age of 74. All in all it was a pleasure and a privilege to be there.

The rest of evening comprised sets by the Balimaya Project, a large London based collective of mostly West African musicians; Divanhana, a sevdalinka (Balkan Blues) band from Bosnia & Herzegovina; and Le Vent Du Nord, a Francophone folk group from Quebec. 

I enjoyed them all in their different ways although probably not enough to dash off and buy their respective back catalogues on Bandcamp. You can though, just by clicking on their names.

Here is a virtual gig I have put together for you with a track from each of the artists mentioned above and a video from the two standout stars of the show. Its been a pleasure.

"Optimistic Voices/ No Love Dying" - Cécile McLorin Salvant

"Nemesis Please" - Erotic Secrets Of Pompeii

"Pest Control Man" - Luiz Bruno

"Tolon Wilile" - Salif Keita

"I No Go Gree" - Balimaya Project

"Emina" - Divanhana

"L'Auberge" - Le Vent Du Nord

6 comments:

  1. No offence intended towards ESoP guitarist; was really comparing them to the punkish era of Ultravox! (still with exclamation mark) and Ha! Ha! Ha! album. Reminded me of sweaty gigs down the Marquee. Of course Ultravox (without exclamation mark) went in different direction when Robin Simon replaced Stevie Shears - and all that before Midge took over after John Foxx left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of Mr Bruno. We need more songs about not being able to find the fridge. He's gone on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, loving Cécile's headwear and also The Erotic Secrets of Pompeii vocalist's suit. Not that I'm shallow of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a splendid couple of weeks you've had.

    ReplyDelete