Search This Blog

Monday 16 September 2024

Goggins Goes Gigging

I am back in the saddle after a very enjoyable break on the Antrim coast. I would recommend it as a place to visit. In the unlikely event that anyone is interested my holiday snaps are on Flickr.

I have also managed to fit in a couple of gigs since I was last here. On Friday just gone we were up in London's fashionable Walthamstow to see the mighty Sahra Halgan backed by three fuzzed-up funky Frenchmen.

I did a feature on Ms Halgan a month back so won't repeat all that now. Suffice to say that she and the band put on an excellent show and if you haven't already bought her current album "Hiddo Dhawr" then you really should. Only the willfully perverse would not enjoy it.

The Friday before found me in the back room of the House of McDonnell public house in Ballycastle (Wee Tom's to the locals) enjoying Eleanor Dunsdon and Gregor Black's slightly skew-whiff take on the traditional music of Scotland and Ireland.

As you can see they use the conventional folk instrumentation of harp and drums but do some interesting things with it. Think Pentangle with a harp replacing the guitars and double bass and you will be on the right sort of lines.

Eleanor and Gregor are based in Glasgow where they no doubt hang out with Charity Chic and all the other cool kids. Gregor is from Northern Ireland and his parents, who I had a nice chat to, have been acting as roadies for their first Irish tour.

Eleanor and Gregor currently have an EP out which I would encourage you to investigate. It is called "Let No Man" and I have added a sample below along with one from Sahra Halgan's album.

"Let No Man Steal Your Thyme" - Eleanor Dunsdon & Gregor Black

"Hooyalay" - Sahra Halgan

Speaking of Pentangle as we were, here is half an hour of them.

7 comments:

  1. What are the parents names as they are probably nearer my generation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gregor's parent's surname is presumably Black but they live in Ballymena. Not sure where Mr and Mrs Dunsdon Sr live. You may just have to get down with the kids.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Only the willfully perverse would not enjoy it."
    Depsite being labelled as a contrarian, I think this is a splendid album,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I presume they left Glasgow on Friday because they heard George was visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Needless to say these are new names to me, but I'm enjoying them both. The Sahra Halgan album is particularly splendid - excellent artwork too.

    ReplyDelete