Search This Blog

Monday 2 September 2024

In The Footsteps Of Giants

So it turns out I completely missed out a country on our African odyssey (apologies to the good folks of Sierra Leone, it will be put right). It is one of a number of signs recently that I could probably do with a break.

It is fortunate then that I am off on holiday tomorrow. I will be spending a week or so wending my way along the Antrim coast and then a night in a neat little town they call Belfast before heading home.

Among the places I am planning to visit are Giant's Causeway - hence the Taj Mahal song - and Rathlin Island. It was from Rathlin that Marconi and pals sent the world's first commercial wireless telegraphy message in 1898, so a track from Thomas Dolby's "Golden Age Of Wireless" album seems apt.

It is also apt because we went to see Mr Dolby in action the weekend before last. It was one of three gigs I have been to in the last fortnight, all very different but all very good. The others were by Lola Kirke and leading purveyors of souped up traditional Indonesian songs Nusantara Beat, so I have added a number from both of them as well. 

"Take A Giant Step" - Taj Mahal

"Airwaves" - Thomas Dolby

"The Crime" - Lola Kirke

"Mang Becak" - Nusantara Beat

To reach Rathlin you the ferry from Ballycastle and I will be spending a couple of nights there. If I had been in Ballycastle last week I would have been able to join the fun at the annual Ould Lammas Fair. I missed that but will buy some dulse and yellowman if there is any left. No, not that Yellowman.


That's it for now. I'll be back here towards the end of next week. Stay groovy until then.

6 comments:

  1. Have a great trip, Ernie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my first hearing of Taj Mahal's version of Take A Giant Leap which of course took me back to the The Monkees fabulous seminal? track but then I heard Carole King's rough demo version of her own song. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many, many thanks for your efforts. Learnt a lot about the music of Africa from here. Enjoy you hols.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very nearly got tix for Mr. Dolby myself; something cropped up (doesn't it always?), so you'll have to give me the skinny, as they say.

    JM

    ReplyDelete