Search This Blog

Thursday 28 February 2013

Solid Bonds

For the second post in a row we pick up where we left off on the previous post. Much more of this and you might start thinking I know what I'm doing. Which would be wrong.

Anyway, at the end of the last post I vaguely threatened to inflict on you Gary U.S. Bonds' doo-wop remake of "I Walk The Line". Weirdly, I have had some requests to do so straight away. It may be an attempt to call my bluff, in which case they have sadly miscalculated.

You won't find this on vinyl. Although recorded some time in the early 1960s, it remained unreleased until it popped up on a compilation of some of Gary's more obscure moments, "Take Me Back To New Orleans", which is still available on Amazon.

As a bonus, we also have two tracks from Gary's 1962 album "Twist Up Calypso" on which, as the name suggests, he twists up some calypsoes. In theory it should be terrible; in practice it turns out to be great fun, especially these two tracks.

"I Walk The Line" - Gary U.S. Bonds

"Where Did The Naughty Little Girl Go" - Gary U.S. Bonds

"Mama Look A Boo Boo" - Gary U.S. Bonds

"Mama Look A Boo Boo" was written by the great Lord Melody, who we have featured here a number of times before. Popularised by (some in Trinidad would say ripped off by) Harry Belafonte, who had a top twenty US hit with it in 1957, I also have a version by Robert Mitchum.

Don't even think of it!


1 comment: