Search This Blog

Friday 12 July 2024

Learning From The Master

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure and privilege of visiting some charity shops in Newcastle with Charity Chic (as the great man himself mentioned yesterday). Seeing him in action was a revelation and having observed him closely I am making some changes to my own charity shop CD scanning methods which I hope will make them more productive. 

But as well as a great technique CC also possesses physical attributes that I lack which mean I will never be able to emulate his efficiency: strong but supple fingers which enable him to rifle through the racks at a rate of knots; eagle-like eyesight to identify a potential purchase in an instant; and the ability to sit on his haunches to scrutinise the bottom shelf, an opportunity that my bulky frame and bad knees deny me.

When not gasping in awe I found some time to pick out a couple of CDs myself, including the one we are featuring today - "New Roman Times", the first album of new material released by Camper Van Beethoven after they reformed in 2002. Font fans may appreciate the album title.

It is a concept album which according to the blurb "details the rise and fall of an idealistic Texan whose disenchantment following a stint with the American military redirected him towards organized terrorism". You don't need to have been through a similar experience in order to enjoy the album ("but it helps!").

"New Roman Times" - Camper Van Beethoven

"Civil Disobedience" - Camper Van Beethoven

The Blogger's Code states that any post about Camper Van Beethoven must include a reference to one particular song, so here it is. Always a pleasure, never a chore.

15 comments:

  1. Not bad for £1. Did you and Mr CC fight over this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. CC is clearly the Jimi Hendrix of the CD fingerwork technique, we bow to his greatness! I'm sure you weren't far behind though, Ernie.
    I would so like to be able to say that Mr SDS and I once DID take the skinheads bowling....wouldn't that be a tale? they loved the shoes in particular - but the reality is somewhat different! Re. Camper Van Beethoven though, I have their version of 'Pictures of Matchstick Men' somewhere about and very good it is too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a mere novice by comparison but I think I must have learnt something from the sensei as yesterday in the local Buddhist second hand bookshop I acquired CDs by The Clash, Soft Cell, Belle & Sebastian, Cowboy Junkies, 10,000 Maniacs, Dubstar, Tom Waits and two by Dead Can Dance for a grand total of £3.

      Delete
    2. Wow, Ernie, fantastic finds/price!

      Delete
  3. Nice haul, Ernie, and thanks for letting us know how CC operates. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this from the 2024 edition of the Blogger's Code?

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charity shop CD scanning methods - you mean there's another way of doing it rather than starting at A? Bottom shelf scrutiny is a challenge isn't it? At my age, lying prone on my belly squinting at CD spines at 90 degree angles is likely to cause one of the other kindly browsers to dial 999 to report a senior citizen having a medical incident. As for Camper Van Beethoven, first saw them in about 1988 in a small club in Birmingham whilst on a training course, loved them and saw they were on at The Leadmill the following Saturday went again and my love affair with them began.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your local charity shops display CDs in alphabetical order? What joy to be alive. There is nothing like that round here.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing CC's foraging technique Ernie. No wonder he's bled all his local shops dry.

    Glad you picked up something too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had better warn the other shops in Inverness to batten down the hatches

      Delete
  7. I'm very interested in learning from the master. Like you, I suffer most from low shelves... and if I stand up too quickly - woah! Many's the time I've almost fainted through postural hypotension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only benefit of not being able to get down that low is that I don't have to worry about standing up too quickly. I will count it as a blessing.

      Delete