Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 July 2024

Still Under Observation

Last week I featured a couple of tracks from Disc 1 of the "Dreadlocks Coming To Dinner" compilation of Niney The Observer productions from the early 1970s. I said then that if you all behaved nicely I would share a couple from Disc 2 this week.

I can't conclusively prove that you have all been angels but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. So here they are.

"For I" - David Jahson

"Fire Bunn" - Big Youth

Before you ask, David Jahson is not the popular actor David Jason of 'Only Fools and Horses' and 'The Darling Buds of May' fame. Mr Jahson's real name is actually Everald Pickersgill, a name which sounds like it should belong to a character in Mr Jason's 'Open All Hours' not a reggae singer. 

One of Mr Jason's best known characters did have a small impact on reggae culture though or, more accurately, on Smiley Culture. Perhaps also on Undercover Cockney, whose debut single came out last Friday. 

7 comments:

  1. That Undercover Cockney single is on bandcamp for a mere £2 (digital) or a staggering £27 on vinyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. £27 really is taking the mickey, but that's Cockney wide boys for you. If you want to drop me a line I may be able to fix you up with a digital copy that fell off the back of a lorry, if you know what I mean guv'nor.

      Delete
  2. Cor blimey guv'nor
    I don't Adam and Eve it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impressive use of the vernacular there CC. I would usually insert a "strike a light" after "Cor blimey" but it is a matter of personal taste.

      Delete
  3. I was born within the sound of Bow Bells... do I qualify?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, brilliant - I am indeed!

      Delete
    2. Good news! I live about half a mile from Paradise Row. It is not clear which doorstep used to belong to Mother Kelly so I sat on all of them just to be on the safe side.

      Delete