Search This Blog

Wednesday 31 July 2024

A Round Of Applause Please

Some 1970s southern soul sides from Memphis for you today, courtesy of The Ovations. Both were released in 1972, hidden away as B-sides, and both were written and produced by that fine stalwart Dan Greer. So you know they are going to be good.

The Ovations had two lives and two line-ups, the first releasing a series of singles on Goldwax between 1964 and 1969, the second on the Sounds of Memphis label from 1971 to 1973. The only constant was the golden-throated lead singer Louis Williams Jr.

The Ovations had a few minor hits, hitting the top ten in the Billboard R&B charts with their version of Sam Cooke's "Having A Party" in 1973, but like so many of the great southern soul acts of the era they never had the success their talent deserved.

"Don't Break Your Promise" - The Ovations

"Take It From One Who Knows (A Loser)" - The Ovations

Here are Louis and the lads with a A-side of "Don't Break Your Promise". How did this only get to #104 in the charts? Its a travesty.


In unrelated news, I saw Nana Benz do Togo live in a local beer garden last night. Their debut album "AGO" was one of my favourite records of last year so I had been really looking forward to the gig and they did not disappoint.
They make quite a sound. Three powerful female singers, one of whom doubles up on synth, and two men on home-made percussion. They mix Togolese rhythms and harmonies with some early 1980s synth-pop and some late 1980s Italian house (at different points I was convinced that I heard "Just Can't Get Enough" and "Ride On Time"). Best of all, you can watch a man whack big pieces of plastic tubing with a pair of flip-flops.

I will feature them properly when the African Odyssey rolls into Togo in a couple of months but here is a clip to tide you over, And if you get the chance to go and see them, do it!

6 comments:

  1. " whack big pieces of plastic tubing with a pair of flip-flops"
    We've all done it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But have you done it in a professional capacity like this gent?

      Delete
  2. I didn't listen to Southern soul for a long time but with The Ovations I know what I missed. Thanks for bringing them back to my memory, Ernie. And Nana Benz Du Togo is something I should explore more. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tunes, though I was about to say I thought The Ovations was a terrible name for a band. Apparently at least 6 other bands disagree with me though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't Break Your Promise such a great track. I've added it to my iTunes for when I do my next mixtape of 'Promise' tracks. Thing is I haven't done one in years. Time was when I spent most of my time doing mixtapes - what went wrong?

    That vid of Nana Benz Du Togo is so engaging. Trouble is that sort of band only play in fancy dan places like London or........Milton Keynes which makes it unlikely us heathens on the outer edges of civilisation will ever get a chance to see them. Yrs faithfully, Spence (a chip on his shoulder Northerner)

    ReplyDelete