Search This Blog

Monday 19 June 2023

Ernie's African Odyssey Pt 6 - Burundi

Welcome to Burundi everyone! This is the sixth stop on our grand tour and the first one where it has been a bit of a struggle to meet my target of featuring five artists per country. I have no doubt that there is a lot more great music from Burundi but it has proved hard to track down. Despite that I think we have put together a decent selection for you.

We start with the Royal Drummers of Burundi, who have been royally ripped off over the years. This article has the full sorry tale but as a result of a musician called Mike Steiphenson copyrighting his mix of an old field recording the Drummers got no financial benefit from that or any subsequent rip-offs such as those perpetuated by Malcolm McLaren. Colonialism in action, folks.

For an ensemble that has been so influential, albeit unwittingly, it is surprisingly hard to find any recordings by the Drummers (who dropped the 'Royal' at some point, possibly when Burundi abolished its monarchy in 1966). The best of those I have found is this live recording from their appearance at WOMAD in 1982. 

The Drummers apart, Burundi's most successful musical export may be Khadja Nin. I'm afraid I find what I have heard of her music to be rather too bland for my tastes - she has performed with Sting for goodness sake! - so I have relegated her to the video section. Fun fact for aging motorsports fans - she is married to Jackie Ickx. 

So if Ms Nin isn't in, who is? Well, various artists whom I've not been able to find out very much about. Judging by the number of YouTube videos alone Emelance Emy and Cedric Bangy appear to be leading lights of the current Burundi music scene - Ms Emy released a greatest hits album earlier this year from which this track comes - but I can't find any bios online. 

The Jean Christophe Matata track comes from a 2007 compilation called "The Great East African Trip" (available on Bandcamp). There are only two tracks from Burundi, of which this is the pick. Mr Matata was born and raised in Burundi but his musical career only really took off after he moved to neighboring Rwanda in his mid 20s. It is claimed that he had recorded over 200 singles before sadly leaving us in 2011. 

I also discovered Moutcho on Bandcamp, in the more unlikely setting of "Global Domination Vol 1", a free compilation of 129 mainly death metal tracks (I hesitate to use the word 'tunes') from around the world. The many highlights include "A Hooker Has Been Slaughtered" by Infection from Peru. 

I have no idea what Moutcho are doing in such company as they don't sound metal at all to me. According to their online blurb "the band is working on the concept of 'Rundi Bop' a mix of Jazz, Hard Rock and Rundi Rhythms". Presumably the largely inaudible hard rock element must be why they are there.

"Kama K'iwacu" - The Drummers of Burundi

"Humura" - Emelance Emy

"Sabasazi" - Cedric Bangy

"Deburuyevu" - Jean Christophe Matata

"Haramahoro" - Moutcho

For those of you wondering about the absence of any Mandatory African Reggae, it is in the video section. Step forward, Lion Story, speaking out in favour of a cause that unites reggae musicians the world over.

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't there a band called The Burundi Boys? Or have I dreamt them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as far as I know. I suspect you may be thinking of The Bhundu Boys from Zimbabwe, who may possibly feature in 49 episodes time.

      However I have found a tedious instrumental of that name by one Ronnie Johnson:
      https://open.spotify.com/track/5r0rvJcNoRDzP7KZNWwQUn

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think you're right.

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of the Bhundus.Their manager was from Hawick!

    ReplyDelete