Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 June 2023

Mekon Music And Art

Over the last year or so I've been to a few exhibitions featuring art by musicians including the likes of Gina Birch and Luke Haines. To that list I've now added Jon Langford, with the bonus of a live performance by the Great Man himself. 

Last Friday me and my old mate Steve made our way to Artdog, a tiny gallery in South London's very own Forest Hill for what turned out to be a most enjoyable evening. For £15 a head we savoured Mr Langford's art, a couple of excellent sets from him and the Mekons' violin player Susie Honeyman, and several free cans of beer from the ice-bucket out the back.

It was a small but select gathering. I doubt there were more than 30 of us there including the talent and the gallery owners, all very friendly (including Mr L who Steve and I had a good natter with and who regaled us with many an entertaining yarn). Other guests included Tim and Katie Tuten, owners of the famed Hideout Bar in Chicago, who just happened to be town.

Here are a photo apiece of the art and music - there are more of both over at Flickr if you are interested - plus a couple of the songs that we were treated to last Friday.

"Drone Operator" - Jon Langford & Skull Orchard

"Thee Olde Trip To Jerusalem" - Chivalrous Amoekons

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good night. I've seen his pictures on display in the Yard Dog Gallery in Austin. I have a book featuring them somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent stuff. I like his style very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you probably know he illustrates many of the covers of albums on Bloodshot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not any more he doesn't. One of the things he told us on Friday is that he and his assorted bands are no longer with the label.

      Delete
    2. https://charitychicmusic.blogspot.com/2021/11/bloodshot-records-rip.html

      Delete
    3. Bloodshot is back but without getting into details I think it is fair to say that Mr Langford's views about the new management differ from those expressed by Robbie Fulks in this article:
      https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/bloodshot-records-is-officially-back/

      Delete
  4. 30 in the audience? Some things never change, when I saw The Mekons in Wolverhampton 20 years ago there were 37 people there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, excellent, love the art. The gallery looks great - just had a look round the site and see that David Hughes is exhibiting in July. Years ago David did some guest tutoring on illustration degree I was doing and was very inspiring; one day I walked back to the station with him and we talked about music (I know he won't remember of course, but it sticks in my mind 'cause I was so impressed!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friend of the stars!

      I didn't recognise his name but have looked him up and am definitely familiar with his work. I'm not sure I'll get down there for the exhibition as I'm travelling part of the time it is on, but I'll do my best.

      Delete