Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 June 2023

The Coolest Cowpoke In Town

Before getting to the business of the day, a quick question for fellow bloggers. Have any of you started getting 400-500 visits a day from bots in Singapore? They arrived at my place over the weekend and so far show no sign of moving on. They don't seem to be doing any harm apart from messing up my visitor stats, but I would be interested to know if its just me they are bothering.

Anyway, on with the show.

After all these frenetic African sounds I've been treating you to I reckon its time for a change of pace. And if you need someone to inject a bit of smoothness into proceedings, who better than the King of Cool himself, Mr Dean Martin. So here are three of his countrypolitan recordings from the 1960s.

You will probably be familiar with his 1967 hit "Little Ole Wine Drinker Me" which in my humble opinion is one of the greatest records ever made, a view I know is shared by supporters of the Bankies. It may not be shared by my friends who have had to endure me belting it out and banging the table vigorously many times over the years.

Dean's take on Merle's "I Take A Lot Of Pride In What I Am" was released as a single in 1969, and we round things off with a Sheb Woolley tune that can be found on the second of the two country albums that Dean released in 1963, "Dean 'Tex' Martin Rides Again".

"Little Ole Wine Drinker Me" - Dean Martin

"I Take A Lot Of Pride In What I Am" - Dean Martin

"The Middle Of The Night Is My Cryin' Time" - Dean Martin

If any of you are wondering how these tunes fit with the cornucopia of zeitgeist-defining sounds that you normally find here, remember: there is no cornucopia without corn.

10 comments:

  1. I've also had a lot of interest from Singapore over the last few days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they are bothering you and C as well it is clear they are bots with excellent taste.

      Delete
    2. Yep, the appeal of my blog became markedly less selective, as I reported last Thursday
      https://dubhed.blogspot.com/2023/06/the-bots-are-back.html
      From a bot perspective, I'd say that you, C & CC were the fine dining experience and then the bots decided to slum it with an 'all you can eat' over at Dubhed ;-)

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be anonymous there!

      Khayem

      Delete
    4. Must have missed that post, Khayem. My bots only arrived on 9 June so if you've had them since the beginning of the month you are definitely the mouth-watering appetizer of the feast not the leftovers.

      Delete
  2. Yes my place has gone bot crazy too lately.
    "There is no cornucopia without corn" - love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite pleased with myself when I thought of that. So much so I constructed an entire post just so I had an excuse to use it.

      Delete
    2. Any surprise to know that I used the word previously to shoehorn in a Julian Cope selection? I think yours is the keeper, Ernie, loved it!

      Delete
  3. It was good to get double figures for a change!

    ReplyDelete