Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 January 2024

Cover To Cover With Warren Zevon

I am pausing for breath between two gigs this morning.

Last night we went to The Waiting Room in Stoke Newington - formerly The Drop of Andrew Weatherall fame - for Sarabeth Tucek. It feels like I spent last chunks of last year banging on about her and her album "Joan Of All" (credited to SBT) so I won't dwell on the gig here. Suffice to say she was very good.

Tonight some of us are reconvening at the What's Cookin' club night in leafy Leytonstone to watch assorted stalwarts of the local Americana scene pay tribute to the late great Warren Zevon on what would have been his birthday. I'm not quite sure what to expect but one thing we can be sure of is that the songs will be excellent.

To get myself in the mood, here are some real Americans covering and being covered by Warren. If tonight's performers can come even vaguely close to matching Flaco and Dwight it will be a good evening.

"A Certain Girl" - Ernie K-Doe

"A Certain Girl"  - Warren Zevon

"Carmelita" - Warren Zevon

"Carmelita" - Flaco Jimenez (with Dwight Yoakum)

It's the same idea for the videos. Stick around for Mike Cummings, you are in for a treat. 

5 comments:

  1. Flaco and Dwight's version of Carmelita is majestic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beat me to it. How many times have we told each other how great is that song?

      Delete
  2. Your links are the wrong way round though. The first one is the cover.

    When it comes time to compile a Top Ten of my all time favourite artists (an impossible task, obviously), if Warren Zevon isn't on there I am in the wrong that day.

    I almost gave up on Mike Cummings because he took so long to get going, but glad I stuck it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, I had labelled them wrongly in my folder and didn't check before pressing go. Error now corrected.

      Agreed, Mr Z is certainly a contender for the Top 10.

      Delete
  3. Ah Warren is it really 21 years? Fraid so

    ReplyDelete