Search This Blog

Monday 8 January 2024

Increasing The Voltage

As will as being a man of taste and distinction, Khayem over at Dubhed has a customer service ethos second to none.

On Saturday he posted one of his customarily excellent mixes, this one featuring songs and artists with 1000 in their name. I said something in the comments about him having missed out the John Holt album '1000 Volts of Holt'. Rather than ignoring me, as he would have been quite entitled to do, within just a matter of hours he shared a different mix including not one but two John Holt tunes! 

I felt I should make an effort to aspire to his levels of service, so I am posting two more magic moments from the late, great Mr Holt. Perhaps other bloggers reading this might do so as well and we could make it a 'thing' of some sort.

Both of my selections are from the rootsier end of Mr Holt's repertoire. First we have "Up Park Camp" from 1977, and then a 12" mix of his 1983 standard "Police In Helicopter". This version was reissued by VP Records last year to mark the fortieth anniversary of the original. You can find it on Bandcamp along with two other versions and the story of the song.

"Up Park Camp" - John Holt

"Police In Helicopter (Extended Sirens Mix)" - John Holt

Other voltages are available.

7 comments:

  1. There was a John Holt who played for Dundee United in their glory years in the 70s and 80s.
    A great player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly no relation, although Gil Scott-Heron's dad played for Celtic and Third Lanark so who knows

      Delete
    2. https://charitychicmusic.blogspot.com/2014/09/theres-only-one-john-holt.html

      Delete
    3. Ahead of the game, as you so often are

      Delete
  2. Always one to aspire to jump onto any passing bandwagon, I had a quick sift through the archives, but was disappointed to find very few tracks in my collection from Mr. H. I did find one that I might save for a future Title Fight though, as it led my mind a'wandering.

    The 5000 Volts songs was very different to the Bruce Springsteen version. I'm sure Bruce would approve though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you chose I'm on Fire and rejected Doctor Kiss Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you kindly, sir. You can never have enough John Holt, as these two gems prove. Electrifying, as John Travolta once said, no doubt having just listened to the great man's music.

    As for 5000 Volts, one of them appears to have raided my wardrobe when I wasn't looking. I'll leave you to guess which one.

    ReplyDelete