Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 January 2024

Happy Birthday Sweet 15

It is a big week for birthdays. On Monday we celebrated the birthdays of three reggae stalwarts, today we have one that is closer to home.

It was on this day back in 2009 that 27 Leggies emerged blinking into the light. 2109 posts and 5925 songs later it has grown into the slightly awkward adolescent it is today, still resentful at being saddled with such a stupid name. As it frequently complains, "why couldn't you just have called me Oliver, Jack or Alfie like everyone else in 2009?".

All the blog really wanted to do today was stay up in its room playing online games with its mates, but I have dragged it out to mutter its way through some thank yous.

First, to all the nice people in Promoland for the lovely presents you have sent us over the years. Between you, you have introduced us to a world of wonder. 

Second, to our occasional celebrity correspondents and collaborators such as Gwenno, Awesome Tapes From Africa, Hannah Lou Larsen (the former Asthmatic Harp), Mama Coconut, US National Public Radio and assorted Belgian DJs for creating the fleeting illusion of importance.

Third, to the bots from Singapore who have been such a constant source of support to me and many other bloggers over the last 12 months or so. Couldn't have done it without you, guys!

Last, and most important. to our regular and irregular readers from 138 countries for popping round and for your many kind comments over the years. And the occasional unkind one. My favourite is still "I could say you look like an old onion with a beard. But I don't need to put anybody down to feel good". There's a lesson for us all there.

"Fifteen" - Dig Deeper

"Fifteen Minutes Of Fame" - Suzi Quatro

"15 Highway Lines" - Courtney Marie Andrews

"15 Rounds For Jesus" - Sister Wynona Carr

"15 Years In A 10 Year Town" - Ward Davis

13 comments:

  1. I've been following your sterling work for most of those 15 years.It has been a joy
    Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many happy returns of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my good friend lured me to these pages with the promise of hearing some finnish prog. I bet you wished he hadn't bothered. Nonetheless, 15 years of doing this is quite the achievement, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been Kirka I imagine. Apart from the Finnish leg of the European tour in 2020 and a few contributions to Single Song Sundays I don't think there has been much else since then.

      Delete
  4. Many happy returns. 15 is a difficult age though. All the world is against you. (Course, I still feel like that at 51.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So basically all you've done is switch the numbers round?

      Delete
  5. Many happy returns (and congrats) - I assume you'll be having a joint birthday party with Susanna Hoffs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 15 minutes with you I wouldn't say No Oh people see no worth in you oh but I do.....
    Seriously though (hahaha). No, really, big congratulations you've introduced to some great music I wouldn't otherwise have heard for more than 10 years now and I'm very grateful. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. A belated but very heartfelt happy birthday! I was extremely late in discovering 27 Leggies but extremely glad when I did. Cheers, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HBD you utter genius- I've contributed at least three flags to your 138, so I'm doing my bit.

    Blog remains genius, please to carry on.

    ReplyDelete