Search This Blog

Sunday 24 March 2013

Some Good Ol' Boys

Apologies to those of you waiting for this month's ReviewShine round-up, but I'm not going to have time to do one properly before I go off on my hols. Instead here is a quick plug for two excellent hard-core country albums that I have been sent recently, the first via ReviewShine.

"Wild Ways" is the name of the new album by Uncle Leon & the Alibis. Leon strikes me as the sort of uncle who turns up drunk at family reunions with some inappropriately dressed woman he has just picked up in a bar in tow. Having said that, on some tracks there are signs that underneath his brash exterior there is a sensitive fellow trying to get out. Not this track, though.

"All My Crazy Friends Got Old And Lame" - Uncle Leon & the Alibis

"All My Crazy Friends..." sounds like the title of a Waylon Jennings' song. As do many of the titles on a new record called "The Other Life", a contender for album of the year so far in my opinion. The resemblance isn't too surprising as the album is by Waylon's lad Shooter. Not that Shooter is aping his Dad - he definitely has his own distinct voice and style - but the apple clearly didn't fall far from the tree. The album is strong from start to finish, and it culminates in this epic.

"The Gunslinger" - Shooter Jennings

Here are a couple from his old man.

2 comments:

  1. Cheers Ernie
    This has cheered me up after the football (well until Tuesday at least!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynchie from Aberdeen25 March 2013 at 09:38

    Waylon anytime is fine by me. And the Uncle Leon track was fun.

    Have you checked out Holly Williams (grand-daughter of Hank)? Well worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete