Search This Blog

Friday 29 December 2023

They Also Served

Once again this year we have lost many fine musicians. For every Burt, Tina, Sinead or Shane whose deaths rightly hit the headlines there are many more who did not attract the same attention. This is my annual (woefully inadequate) tribute to some of those whose passing may have passed you by.

The obvious starting point is with the late, great Toussaint McCall's 1967 masterpiece, "Nothing Takes The Place Of You", the sentiments of which apply to everyone who is featured in today's post.

The obvious final selection, for the audio clips at least, is this seasonal track from the equally late and equally great Huey 'Piano' Smith. This will be my last post of the year, and I can think of nobody better than Mr. Smith and his Clowns to wave you into 2024. 

The tributes continue in the videos finishing, as is only right, with one of the finest records ever made. RIP Robert Haimer (aka Artie Barnes), all the others included here, and all those I missed.

 "Nothing Takes The Place Of You" - Toussaint McCall

"I Can't Be Satisfied" - Spencer Wiggins

"This Property Is Condemned" - Mike Henderson

"Golden Country Kingdom" - Pete Brown (with Piblokto!)

"Take Me To Aruanda" - Astrud Gilberto

"Malia" - Rigo Star (with Josky Kiambukuta)

"Yere Africa" - Peter King

"Independent Jamaica" - Lord Creator

"Bangarang" - Lester Sterling (with Stranger Cole)

"Happy New Year" - Huey 'Piano' Smith & His Clowns

9 comments:

  1. Some fine artists there who will be missed
    I'ma big fan of Spencer Wiggins and Goldfish Records
    Happy New Year when it comes Ernie and hers to a great 2024

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you perhaps mean Goldwax rather than Goldfish? I have tried listening to Goldfish Records but find I have a very short attention span when doing so.

      Delete
  2. Each year there seem to be more and more, then I just figured it's because I've been around longer too...
    Lovely to see Pete Brown in your selection, by all accounts a very nice man too. I was then reminded of a short archive film we watched recently in which he made an appearance; if you have an half an hour to spare and fancy being transported back to 1981 in the company of peace protestors, poets (and Pete) have a gander!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pufwasHNYpQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always follow your cultural advice, as you know, so I'll check that out.

      In exchange: Pete published an autobiography titled 'White Rooms & Imaginary Westerns' in 2010. It is quite an entertaining read.

      https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9562404-white-rooms-imaginary-westerns

      There is apparently a new documentary about Pete with the same title but I've not seen it yet.

      Delete
    2. Ooh thank you, definitely things to check out!

      Delete
  3. Several good tracks there from the recently departed esp Mike Henderson and Spencer Wiggins. I've had Fish Heads in my head for years and had no idea about it's provenance until I researched it just now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ernie, thanks for an enlightening and occasionally eye-popping year of posts and music selections. I can safely say that I’ve been introduced to a wider world of song (& video) that I wouldn’t have otherwise found.

    Wishing you a lively NYE and a rewarding 2024. Looking forward to reading.& hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These lists grow longer every year. If I were still a drinking man, I'd be raising a glass to them all right now.

    Happy New Year, Ernie.

    ReplyDelete