Search This Blog

Thursday 30 January 2014

Salty

There was great rejoicing in the Goggins household earlier this week when I finally got hold of an album I have been trying to track down for at least 20 years: "Salt 'n Pepper" by the late, great Lord Melody. Regular readers will know of my great love for Lord Melody as we have featured him a number of times previously. In my view he is second only to the Mighty Sparrow in the pantheon of calypso greats.

I first came across "Salt 'n Pepper" - originally released in 1974 - in Stoke Newington library some time in the mid 1980s. I copied it on to a cassette which went the way of all flesh a few years later, since when I have been pining. Recently I finally tracked a copy down in Switzerland, where it was presumably kept in the bank vaults with all the other treasure, and for a slightly exhorbitant fee it is now mine, all mine!!!

Here are a couple of corkers. In the second one, Melo claims that a law was passed in France in 1973 making it illegal for ladies to wear knickers. While admittedly I have not checked the statute books, I can't help thinking he has got hold of the wrong end of the stick somewhere.

"Look" - Lord Melody

"Girl In France" - Lord Melody

As a bonus, here is his old friend and rival with a touching tribute marking Melo's death from cancer in 1988.

"Play One For Melo" - Mighty Sparrow

And here is a girl in France. I have no wish to speculate on whether she is law-abiding or not.


1 comment:

  1. I've got Bonny down as a Bridget Jones big pants sort of a gal!

    ReplyDelete