Search This Blog

Saturday 19 September 2015

Swamp on Saturday

Among the versions of "You Send Me" we featured last Sunday was one by Swamp Dogg. The day after I found myself in Notting Hill Gate for a meeting and I took the opportunity to pop into the Record & Video Exchange, a place where I have spent many happy hours over the years but rarely get to now. And there, waiting just for me, was a copy of Swamp's rare 1981 album "I'm Not Selling Out, I'm Buying In".

It is a class album, one of the highlights of which is a slightly bonkers duet with Esther Phillips which we will save for another time. On the album Swamp demonstrates his proficiency in both the profound and the profane, as these two tracks show. As a bonus I have added an old hippy standard as a sort of tribute to the Record & Video Exchange.

"Low Friends In High Places" - Swamp Dogg

 "Sexy Sexy Sexy # 3" - Swamp Dogg

"Notting Hill Gate" - Quintessence

Here's Garth Brooks who finds himself in the reverse situation to Swamp Dogg. Good to see he resisted the urge to create an overly literal staging for the song.  

1 comment: