Search This Blog

Monday 16 December 2019

Oud Dudes

I'm just back after working in Oman for a couple of weeks. I would definitely recommend you visit if you get the chance, some of the scenery is magnificent.

At one point it looked like I was going to return home empty-handed, musically speaking. As far as I can tell there isn't a single record shop in Muscat, not even a chain store in the malls. But then I got chatting of one of the people I was working with, Khaled, and discovered that he was a master oud player. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that the oud is the traditional lute-type instrument found across Arabia and beyond.

At the end of my stay Khaled very kindly presented me with a double CD of performances by members of the organisation he is actively involved with, the catchily named Oman Oud Hobbyists Association. Here are a couple of tracks. The sleeve notes are in Arabic and very, very small so I have no idea what they are called.

"Track 8, CD 1" - The Oman Oud Hobbyists Association 

"Track 3, CD 2" - The Oman Oud Hobbyists Association 

And here is a song all about romance in Oman, give or take an R.

No comments:

Post a Comment