Search This Blog

Monday 25 April 2022

Satisfaction Guaranteed

On Friday we featured tracks from a couple of Mike Brooks albums that were reissued by Burning Sounds a few years ago. Mike was one of a number of less well known reggae performers from the 1970s and 1980s included in that series of reissues. One of the others was Well Pleased And Satisfied - essentially a gentleman called Jerry Baxter backed by the Revolutionaries.

I had never heard of Well Pleased And Satisfied (or WPS as I'm going to call them to save on typing) until I picked up a copy of the excellent "Can't Stop The Dread" compilation on the Doctor Bird label recently. That includes some 12" remixes of WPS singles, which I enjoyed so much I decided to track down more of their stuff. I'm glad I did.

The reissue includes two WPS albums on one CD, "Give Thanks & Praise" (1978) and "Love Train" (1979). Together they left me feeling both WP and S, which is all you can ask for really. Here is one track from each album.

"Chat Chat" - Well Pleased And Satisfied

"West Man Rock" - Well Pleased And Satisfied

The "Love Train" of the second album is nothing to do with the O'Jays hit of the same name, but the level of S provided is worthy of their Philly friends Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment