Search This Blog

Saturday 25 September 2010

Arrow R.I.P.

I belatedly learned last night that the mighty Arrow died ten days ago. I was lucky enough to see him perform live in London a couple of times in the late 1980s, once at the Astoria and once at the Hackney Empire. He was at the peak of his powers then, and it was impossible not to dance. Even Mr F was seen to shuffle his feet a little.

Real name Alphonsus Cassell, and one of Montserrat's greatest exports, Arrow was sadly struck down by cancer at the age of 60. Which isn't really a long time at all.

"Long Time" - Arrow

"Columbia Rock" - Arrow

Here he is with the hit.



And as an arrow-related bonus, here is Leapy Lee. I saw him live once as well, when I was about ten or eleven, on a double bill with the New Seekers. Great gig!

No comments:

Post a Comment