Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 October 2021

The Mighty Randomiser (Part 1)

Last week we notched up 5000 different songs on the blog. To mark the occasion I invited you to pick a number between 1 and 5000, stick it in the comments and I would give your selection a spin. 

Four viewers took advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity, and they more than make up in quality what they may lack in quantity. Many thanks to these stalwart individuals - Charity Chic, George, Mister F and Spence, Surfers of the Zeitgeist all.    

In order to pad things out a bit I have picked out two songs for each of them. In the next post we'll have their selections based on their date of appearance, but for this one they have been selected using my normal sophisticated cataloguing system (alphabetically by name of artist, since you ask). 

A pretty wild, wacky and worldwide bunch they are too, with hits from Spain, Turkey, Niger and.. Bristol. Many thanks to our guest pop-pickers, They've done a great job between them.

"Lluna Estimada" - Pau Riba (CC)

"Dilo Dilo Yaylalar" -  Kamuran Akkor (George)

"The Bongo That Ate Pik Botha" - The Ivory Coasters (Mr F)

"Liedernan" - Etran Finatawa (Spence)

I've managed to track down some footage of three of the four of them (the artists not the stalwart individuals). Pau is in particularly fine form - and watch out for the guest appearance by Rob Davis from Mud about four minutes in.

6 comments:

  1. Reasonably happy with your selection on my behalf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sneaking suspicion you may like your second selection as well. Tune in on Friday and all will be revealed.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on this milestone- yours is one of my favouritestest blogs ever, so thank you from Southern Africa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Southern Africa, you are one of my favouritest parts of the world, not least because half of my family are there. I'm heading over in about six weeks for the first time since the nonsense started. Looking forward to seeing you all.

      Delete
  3. Etran Finatawa - almost needless to say - are a new one on me but I have now 'adopted' them and will seek something of theirs for me to own. I like that their name translates as 'the stars of tradition' tradition being something I put a high value on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, if I may say so without appearing to be an appalling creep, the word "star" definitely applies to you as well

      Delete