Search This Blog

Sunday 21 February 2010

Ladies

The other day I posted a number of different versions of "Love Is Strange", which has resulted in an almost unprecedented number of visits to my humble site. Now obviously my integrity is everything to me and I would never consider "selling out", but at the same time it is always nice to be wanted. So today comes a craven and probably doomed attempt to repeat the trick, but with something marginally less mainstream.

Here are three versions of Fela Kuti's "Lady" for you too enjoy - Fela's 13 minute original and a couple of Afro-Jazz renditions from South Africa and Ghana. I knew Hugh Masekela's version before ever hearing the original and for that reason it is probably still my favourite, but I would not turn my nose up at any of them.

"Lady" - Fela Kuti (from "Shakara", 1972)

"Lady" - Hugh Masekela (from "Waiting For The Rain", 1985)

"African Woman" - Blay Ambolley (from "African Jazz, 2001)

And on a similar theme:



To be honest the highlight of that clip is the woman in the background cadging a fag towards the end (for the benefit of our American readers, "cadging a fag" simply means borrowing a cigarette - fear not)

No comments:

Post a Comment