Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 March 2021

Phnom Penh Pop

I think I have mentioned before that I have a historical subscription deal with eMusic which entitles me to 40 tracks a month for about 20p a pop. I treat it as an oppotunity to experiment with music I might never try otherwise - at that price it doesn't really matter if there are as many misses as hits. 

Anyway, this month I have gone big on Cambodian pop from the 1960s. Here are a couple of crackers from perky Pen Ran.

"ប្តីខ្ញុំគាត់ចាស់" - Pen Ran

"ទន្សាយរាំ Jerk" - Pen Ran

If Google Translate's mastery of Khmer can be relied on - which I guess is a big If - the title of the first translates as "My Husband Is Old" and the second as "Jerk Dancing Rabbit". 

Jerk Dancing Rabbit, meet Disco Duck.

3 comments:

  1. The best songs you've posted for a while!
    I've just spent (wasted?) some time looking for translations of the song titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you including 'Disco Duck' in that back-handed compliment?

      Delete
    2. No. It's rubbish. But I do like the Cambodian pop.

      Delete